Simple Sewing Project

1A

The emphasis is on “simple!”  Finally I got around to this simple sewing project which I had intended months ago.  It obviously was not important enough to me to commit myself to it sooner.  I could live without its completion.  However, now that it is done, I am impressed with the results.

2A

Several months ago I found the most unique and interesting set of chairs at a thrift shop and paid next to nothing for them.  They “go” with the style of my home, which is quite unusual in itself, referred to at one point as being “Futuristic.”  I don’t know if I would go so far as to say that myself, however, it certainly does not fit another descriptive home style category that I know of.

7A

The décor I chose to enhance the abundance of natural wood in floors, ceiling, and wall panels, included a lot of white and a lean toward modern furnishings.  So when I set eyes on these chairs, I knew I had to have them, that they could be incorporated into my decorating scheme with ease.  The only drawback with them was that their cushions were old and faded and needed to be recovered, and although I found a temporary solution of throwing a Fikati over them to get me through the winter months, the comfort of their seating still needed to be addressed, thus my project.

3A

The chairs are steel framed, light-weight, and moderately comfortable, and add an unusually airy vibe to my existing décor.  In order to keep the light and airiness of their form, as well as amp up their modern edge, I opted for a clean-lined look.  To cover the seat cushions, I purchased a piece of white vinyl fabric, traced the outline of the cushion onto it leaving enough extra fabric to accommodate its thickness as well as allow for a  5/8 inch seam.  I then sewed two pieces back-to-back leaving an unseamed edge to the back of the cover in which to insert the cushion.  Once that was done, I clipped the seam of the corner edges down to 1/4 inch to facilitate a smooth corner when turning the cushion from inside-out to outside-out…

4A

Once I inserted the cushion into the open end of the cover, I then folded the edge of this seam inward and top-stitched it closed.

As I mentioned, this was a very simple sewing project.  Although the original cushion had been topstitched with quilted detail, I chose to simplify the look, as well as the project itself by leaving the finished cushion un-quilted.  Instead, and to soften its contours, and make it look like it belonged, I laid it in place on the chair, sat on it, turned it over, then sat on it again, thereby releasing trapped air and causing the cover to conform to the shape of the original cushion.

5A

Repeating the cutting, sewing, turning, stuffing, and retro-fitting process three more times to outfit the rest of my chairs, ended my project.  Not too overwhelming, and the end result, well, now the chairs seat more comfortably, and they add that quirky touch I was going for in my décor, with or without the Fikati…. So glad I got around to it!

6A

Hope this blog inspires you to take on a simple, but worthwhile project for your home, maybe one you too, have been putting off for ages.  Once you get to it, you will be glad you did!

 

Advertisements

~ by shirleyliseblogspot on April 4, 2013.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: